The best way to help your pearls maintain their luster is to wear them regularly. Your body’s natural oils aid in keeping the pearls’ beauty.
- When necessary, wipe your pearls with a damp, soft cloth. Do not use oils or other treatments.
- Never clean your pearls with jewelry cleaner or in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine! A harsh cleanser can wear away the nacre.
- Have your pearls restrung every two to five years if worn regularly, or when the silk becomes dirty.
- Take your pearls to a professional jeweler for cleaning prior to restringing, which will add to the beauty and long life of your pearls.
- Keep your pearls away from hairspray, lotion and perfume. Chemicals in these products can damage the pearls.
- Make your pearls the last item you put on when getting dressed and the first item you take off.
- Pearls should be worn alone. If worn with other jewelry, such as a gold chain or other necklace, they may be scratched or damaged.
- Store your pearls separately so they won’t be damaged by other jewelry.